Deadline to Apply: August 31
About Us: Next 10 is a nonpartisan nonprofit organization that provides expert-commissioned research to foster a deeper understanding of the economy, the environment, and quality of life issues for all Californians.
Position Summary: Next 10 is seeking a Director of Research who will help shape the organization’s research portfolio, develop, direct, and execute research projects authored by independent consultants, analyze data and author studies on behalf of Next 10, and bring forward ideas for new research opportunities.
In this position you will be part of a small team with access to a vast network of some of the best research minds in the state, working to expand the reach of our nonpartisan research.
The role encompasses the following essential functions:
1. Research direction:
- Lead Next 10’s environmental and economic research. Responsible for directing research efforts published by Next 10 and authored by expert consultants
- Understand relevant priority policy issues facing the state and identify research needs and experts to engage with for various projects
- Manage all research authors to produce the most credible and impactful analysis and establish reviewers for individual publications
- Maintain and establish new relationships with experts and advisors to inform the ongoing direction of the organization’s research and programs
- Direct research releases, including working closely with communications consultants to develop research launch plans for the media and the general public
2. Organizational leadership:
- Work closely with the organization’s founder to establish the organization’s ongoing research agenda and develop the annual work plan
- Maintain relationships and build alliances with policymakers, researchers, academics, expert consultants, nonprofit colleagues, and other stakeholders
- Serves as key advisor to organization founder
- Supervise one full-time staff member and support professional development opportunities
- Work with the CFO to establish research and organizational programming budget and to appropriate resources to projects
- Act as organizational lead in relationships with contractors and vendors to ensure projects are delivered on-time and on-budget
3. Public speaking:
- Identify speaking engagements and presentation opportunities to promote research
- Support the organization’s founder in his speaking and press engagements by responding to requests and drafting presentations, speeches and talking points
- Represent the organization and present findings of research to a variety of audiences including policymakers, business and civic leaders, academics, industry experts, community members, and more
- Deliver presentations related to Next 10’s other program areas on an as-needed basis
- Respond to press inquiries as needed
- Experience working on climate and energy, environmental, and economic policy issues
- Experience and credibility conveying complex information in an approachable way to external audiences
- Ability to produce top quality written materials (research, fact sheets, presentations)
- Demonstrated expertise in project management with excellent written and interpersonal communication skills
- Experience planning, leading, and managing multiple projects at the same time
- At least five years experience managing or conducting research on environmental/economic issues with the proven ability to take initiative to create opportunities and provide guidance on new research
- Skilled at establishing and cultivating strong relationships with peers - within the organization and externally
- Experience managing FTE
- Interest in California’s future with a commitment to Next 10’s mission, working in a nonpartisan environment, and to broadening the impact of Next 10 research
- Bachelor’s Degree in economics, environmental studies, or a related field
- PhD or graduate degree in economics, environmental studies, or a related field
- Expertise in California’s economy and climate/energy policies
- Data savvy; familiarity with research software platforms and the ability to perform and/or review quantitative analysis performed by others
Interested applicants should email a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, including “Director of Research” in the subject line. No phone calls please.
This full-time position offers competitive compensation and full benefits. Next 10’s office is based in San Francisco but our team is currently working remotely.
Next 10 is an equal opportunity employer.