Effective as of August 7, 2019
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Scope and Application: Who and what this Policy covers.
- Collection of Information: The sources of and methods by which we, our service providers, and other third parties collect information from and about you, including information about your interaction with the Services.
- Data Use and Sharing: How we use the information we collect from and about you, who we might share it with, and why.
- User Access and Communication Preferences: How you can access and control the information we maintain about you, and opt out of promotional communications.
- Protection of Your Information: How we protect your information from loss or misuse.
- Other Important Information: We are not responsible for the privacy practices of third-party sites; information may be transferred, processed, or stored outside your country of residence, including in the United States; changes we may make to this Policy.
- Contact Us: How to contact us about this Policy.
Next 10 understand the importance of our users’ privacy. This Policy describes the treatment of information we collect from and about you when you visit our next10.org, budgetchallenge.org, compare50.org, cawaterchallenge.org, californiachoices.org and carbonchallenge.org websites or use other websites or services that contain a link to, or otherwise reference, this Policy (collectively, the “Services”). This Policy tells you how we use, share, and protect your information, and what choices you have about how your information is used.
Information you provide to us
When you choose to make use of some features of the Services, such as completing a challenge or signing up for a newsletter, you may be asked to provide information, including personal information such as your email address and zip code, and you may provide information such as answers to a challenge, including concerning your political beliefs, that we associate with your personal information.
Information Collected Automatically
In addition to information you choose to provide to us, we and our service providers automatically collect certain additional information. For example:
- IP Address and Other Identifiers. When you access and interact with our Services, Next 10 and our service providers may collect information about your visit in order to permit you to connect to and obtain the Services and to understand the frequency with which specific visitors visit various parts of our Services. For example, we may collect your Internet Protocol (“IP”) address, which identifies the computer or service provider that you use to access the Services, or information about your browser type, unique device identifiers, and other software and hardware information. If you access the Services through a mobile or other similar device, we may collect your mobile device identifier, geolocation data (including your precise location), or other transactional information for that device. We may combine this information collected automatically with other information that we have collected, including personal information.
- Web tracking technologies. We and third parties including our service providers may use other tracking tools, including UTM parameters, web beacons, pixel tags, and the like (collectively “Parameters”) to collect information about your activities on the Services. These are remotely-hosted images or additions to URLs that link within web content and email messages, and which may not be visible to users. Like cookies, Parameters enable us and our service providers to track pages and content accessed and viewed by users. Parameters may be included in emails to allow us to monitor readership levels so that we can identify aggregate trends and individual usage, to provide our audiences with more relevant content or engagement opportunities. Parameters in emails may recognize activities such as when an email was opened, which landing page the user went to from an email, which links in the email were clicked, etc.
Our Partners and Service Providers
Next 10 relies on a number of other companies, agents, and/or contractors to perform services on our behalf or to assist us in operating Next 10 and providing the Services to you. For example, we may engage such service providers to provide marketing, communications, website hosting, infrastructure and IT services, to personalize and optimize the Services, and analyze and enhance data. In the course of providing such services to us, these other companies may have access to information about you, including personal information. We do not authorize these companies to use or disclose the user information we provide to them, except in connection with providing the services we request from them.
One of our service providers is Google Analytics, which collects information such as how often users visit this site, what pages they visit when they do so, and what other sites they used prior to coming to this site. To learn more about how Google Analytics collects and uses your data when you use the Services, and how you can control the information sent to Google Analytics, please review https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites.
Some content you see on the Services is delivered by third parties who may collect information through cookies, web beacons, and other technologies about your online activities. We are not responsible for the privacy practices of third parties.
Information Contained in User Content
Information from Other Sources
Next 10 and our service providers may supplement the information we collect from and about you with information from other sources, such as publicly available information from social media services and other commercially available sources.
Do Not Track Signals
At this time, our Services do not respond to “do not track” signals, including do not track signals sent from web browsers.
Services We Provide to Others
How we use information
We use information that we collect from and about you to provide the Services, solicit your feedback, inform you about our products and services, and improve our Services to you, consistent with our mission. In particular, we and our service providers may use such information for a variety of business purposes, including:
- to aid our public interest activities and initiatives, and other similar purposes, for example utilizing user comments and responses to determine which topic areas warrant further research, exploration or programming;
- to maintain and manage your account, deliver content and services that you request, and enhance your experience on our Services;
- to provide the Services and content you request;
- to communicate with you about the content and Services or other products, content, or services in which you may be interested, or to respond to your inquiries or comments;
- to send you information or material via email about Next 10 and other news we think might interest you. If you no longer wish to receive regular promotional emails from us, please see “USER ACCESS AND COMMUNICATION PREFERENCES” below;
- to make our Services and our communications to you more targeted to your interests;
- we may use anonymized, aggregate information for any purpose.
- to perform business analyses or for other purposes to improve the quality of our business, the Services, and the products and services we offer;
- in accordance with your permission.
How we share information
We share information that we collect from and about you in the following ways:
- with entities that help us to manage and provide our Services, including development of our websites and applications, maintenance and support, personalization, payment processing, IT and hosting services, email distribution, measurement, and improvement, sweepstakes/contest administration, fulfillment, and promotions management, only to the extent that these entities need the information to perform their services or as required by law;
- with identified entities whose products or services you specifically use or request to receive while you use the Services;
- Our sites may enable you to contact your representative, and if you choose to do that we will share the information you have chosen to include in your message.
- In the event of a merger, reorganization, sale of assets, dissolution, bankruptcy, or similar event, information that we collect from and about you may be part of the transferred assets;
- in response to legal process;
- we may share anonymized, aggregate information about our users with any party and with the public by any means (including our website) for any purpose – including usage statistics and aggregate information about visitors who have participated in a challenge, by zip code, political district, or other demographic categories (including home ownership, political affiliation, income ranges, ethnicity and the like);
- in accordance with your permission.
Your California Privacy Rights
California Civil Code Section 1798.83, known as the “Shine the Light” law, permits members of our community who are California residents to request and obtain from us a list of what personal information (if any) we may have disclosed to third parties for direct marketing purposes in the preceding calendar year, including the names and addresses of those third parties. Requests may be made once a year and are free of charge. If you would like to make a request pursuant to California Civil Code Section 1798.83, you must do so in writing via email to privacy[at]Next 10.org; please include the phrase “Request for California Privacy Information” in the subject line and in the body of your message.
We currently do not share any personal information with third parties that are not under our common ownership or common control for their direct marketing purposes.
USER ACCESS AND COMMUNICATION PREFERENCES
You may opt out of receiving promotional emails from Next 10 by clicking the “unsubscribe” link contained in each email message. Certain third-party services we may use (including AddThis) participate in opt-out programs including DAA (http://www.aboutads.info/choices) and/or NAI (http://optout.networkadvertising.org). Please visit their sites for additional information.
PROTECTION OF YOUR INFORMATION
Visiting/Using Our Services from Outside The United States
Third Party Sites
Attn: Privacy Compliance Officer
300 Brannan Street, Suite 402,
San Francisco, California 94107